Tuesday 18 April 2023

A Year Of Pushing Colour

Two posts below from recent days (transferred across from my Facebook Page). 

The first finds me doing a review of the last year.

'Made myself a little review of the last year in painting. It starts at the centre, with the last of the animal paintings. That was a beautiful, satisfying series.... and then suddenly my neat pen line said, no more (follow clockwise, up from the ram...)
I started painting with an ink bottle with a nozzle, which I could barely control. And then the beautiful palette I had been using for so long, pthalo turquoise, red oxide, yellow ochre, perylene maroon.... also rebelled. Purple, it yelled! Pink! Lime green! Cobalt blue! Ugly not pretty! Add white and black! Risk messing it up every single time! And then came posca pens. It's been a wild ride, and I hope it gets wilder.'




Then, a few days later...



'Living life as a maker of images, with a commitment to be exploring something most of the time, in an unhurried, unpressured, undriven way. Sharing the results of that process, with no expectation, no agenda.

Today. A quiet nervous system sigh of relief at the unexpected return of these colours, laden with inexpressible resonances. Temple courtyards in the sun. A shocking glint of sari against worn sandstone like a wild iridescent beetle. Bare feet on hot worn slate arranged in hexagonal shapes to fit the star-shaped outline of the temple plan. Dust. Stains. Green wood. Rusted railings.'

No comments:

Post a Comment