Thursday 6 July 2023

Today I'm studying how to make birds

 



I quite often read people on facebook berating themselves for having a mind that wanders, for starting one thing and ending up doing another. They've perhaps internalised a cultural idea that we're supposed to be 'keeping focussed'; finding our path and then setting about carving it deeper. Deciding what our art is about and sticking to that. Learning skills that will help us achieve our goals.

This is the opposite of what a creative process is for me. I try to attend to an allowing that will gently peel me off any ideas I might have about what I'm supposed to be doing. I welcome the arrival of an unexpected idea, or finding myself pursuing something that I had no idea was waiting to be explored. Something knows. If I shut up and follow, a deeper part of me which feels the world without thought or words always knows where to go next.

Today I'm studying how to make birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment