Thursday 9 June 2016

'problems of output are problems of input'


Another way that the computer/internet is vital for me is in showing me images and ideas that aren't my own. This has a stimulating, organising effect, and is often a kind of focussing; bringing something that I've forgotten back into consciousness.

This morning, for example, I saw this image by an artist called Morag Muir:





This image brought back an idea I've been working with since my trip to the Hoysala temples and Jain paintings two years ago.... Narrative friezes made up of multiple frames. Framed people. People in boxes. People trying to get out of frames, overstepping the frame boundary. You see this all over the Indian tradition, in both sculpture and in painting.





























































Austin Kleon again:
'Problems of output are often problems of input. If you’re output isn’t where you want it to be, try working on your input.'


The internet feeds me when I forget where I am. 

.


No comments:

Post a Comment