Sunday 12 June 2016

the lightest touch





The Lightest Touch


Good poetry begins with
the lightest touch,
a breeze arriving from nowhere,
a whispered healing arrival,
a word in your ear,
a settling into things,
then like a hand in the dark
it arrests the whole body,
steeling you for revelation.

In the silence that follows
a great line
you can feel Lazarus
deep inside
even the laziest, most deathly afraid
part of you,
lift up his hands and walk toward the light.


  -- David Whyte

     from Everything is Waiting for You 
     ©2003 Many Rivers Press 






My images don't come if there's any kind of heaviness in my intention. Even referring to 'my work' brings a kind of leadenness.






Even talking of my workspace as my 'studio'.






The heavy weight of the history of art, the heavy weight of the European/American aesthetic, the heavy weight of the contemporary commercial art world, the heavy weight of conceptualism...
















.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE it! The idea of lightness being energizing, mobilising. Ahhh! It's made me feel all floaty.

    ReplyDelete